les membre d'une famille asiatique qui ont immigrés au Canada

Family Reunification (sponsorship)

with DJP Quebec Immigration Services

Have you obtained your permanent residence or do you already have Canadian citizenship and want to reunite and live with your family in Canada?

The program of family sponsorship through family reunification will allow you to sponsor your immediate family members so that they also obtain permanent residence.

To successfully apply to sponsor family members, many criteria must be met. Some will apply to you, the sponsor, and others will apply to those in your family who wish to be sponsored. The criteria also vary depending on the sponsorship program chosen. We will be happy to check which criteria apply to your case and which sponsorship program is right for you.

General Requirements to Sponsor a Family Member

  • Be at least 18 years of age
  • Be a permanent resident or a Canadian citizen
  • Be able to show that you will be able to provide financial support to your family member while in Canada

Who can be sponsored?

Not all members of your family are eligible for sponsorship through the family reunification program. The following people are eligible:

  • Spouses or common-law partners
  • Dependent children
  • Parents and grandparents

You should note that Canada recognizes legally married spouses and couples who live in marital unions without being married for at least 12 consecutive months (common-law partners). Same-sex unions are also included.

Sponsorship Programs

Spouses or Common-Law Partners

To sponsor your spouse or common-law partner, you should meet the general criteria listed above and other specific criteria, such as the following:

  • Not having a criminal record or being subject to a removal order or deportation from Canada
  • Not having been sponsored yourself as a spouse or common-law partner when you arrived in Canada

The specific criteria that apply to the sponsored person are the following:

  • Being at least 16 years of age
  • Not being related to you by blood

Other specific criteria apply to each category of relationship—namely, spouses, common-law partners or conjugal partners. In addition, you will need to provide proof of your relationship with the sponsored person.

Sponsorship of Dependent Children

Dependent children, whether biological or adopted, can be sponsored to live with their parents as permanent residents of Canada.

To sponsor your children, you will need to meet the following specific criteria:

  • Not having a criminal record, not being incarcerated or not being the subject of a removal order or deportation from Canada

Specific criteria for sponsored dependent children are the following:

  • Being in one of the following situations
    • Being under 22 years old and unmarried
    • Being in school
    • Being financially dependent on his or her parent
    • Being 22 years of age or older and having never been able to be financially independent due to a physical or mental condition
    • Being the biological child of the parent or the adopted child of the parent

Sponsorship of Parents and Grandparents

Other than Parent and grandparent super visaParent and Grandparent Super Visa, which is valid for ten years, you (can) will also be able to sponsor your parents or grandparents to allow them to immigrate to Canada and obtain permanent residence. To do so, you must comply with the following specific criteria:

  • Provide financial support for them and their dependents
  • Ensure that they do not have to apply for social assistance from the government

You can sponsor your biological or adoptive parents and grandparents. In case of divorce or separation, you can also sponsor the spouses, common-law partners or conjugal partners of your parents and grandparents.

You should note that you will not be able to include your siblings or half-siblings in the application unless they are under 22 years of age and considered dependent children.

You will also be able to sponsor more than one person or a couple provided you meet the income requirements. Contact us for more information about these requirements and to assess your financial ability to sponsor more than one person.

The following are specific criteria for the sponsored person:

  • The sponsored person must be your parent or grandparent.
  • He or she must have passed certain medical exams for immigration.
  • He or she must not have a criminal record.
  • He or she must provide Immigration Canada with his or her biometric data.

Do you need help submitting your application? Contact us. We can help you determine whether sponsorship is possible, which specific criteria apply to your family members and assess which of the different programs best fits your situation. We can submit a full sponsorship application for you and ensure that your family is reunited and has the right to live and work here permanently and legally as quickly as possible.