Des Grands-parents qui ont immigrés au Québec

Parent and Grandparent Super Visa

with DJP Quebec Immigration Services

If you are a parent or grandparent of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and you want to visit them more often or simply stay with them for a certain period of time, you can apply for the parent and grandparent super visa.

The super visa is valid for a maximum of ten years and will allow you to enter, leave and return to Canada throughout this period. With each visit to the country, you will be entitled to a maximum stay of two years without applying for a renewal of status.


To be eligible for a super visa, you must

  • Be the parent or grandparent of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada;
  • Present a letter written by the child or grandchild inviting you to Canada;
  • Have evidence establishing the parental relationship with the child or grandchild, such as a birth certificate naming you as parents;
  • Have a valid passport;
  • Have private travel medical insurance from a Canadian insurance company;
  • Have applied for a super visa from outside Canada;

D’autres conditions spécifiques et documents additionnels peuvent être demandés et afin que votre demande de super visa soit acceptée par le bureau d’immigration canadien.

A dependent, such as spouse, common-law partner or child, cannot be admitted with a super visa. In such circumstances, however, it is possible to apply for a visitor visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA) to travel to Canada for the total duration of six months.

Are you exempt from the super visa?

If you are a citizen of a country that is exempt from the visitor visa, you will also benefit from this new measure. You will be able to apply using the same process as for a super visa application. However, instead of obtaining a visa, you will receive an official letter from Citizenship and Immigration Canada authorizing your visit to Canada for a maximum of two years, only on your first visit. If you arrive in Canada by air, you may also need an electronic travel authorization (eTA) application.

Spending quality time with your children and grandchildren living in Canada is a wonderful experience. Take the first steps and contact our consultants to assess your eligibility based on your situation and the criteria of the parent and grandparent super visa program. We will be delighted to support you in this process.


Due to security measures imposed in response to the COVID-19 health crisis, Canada has made significant changes to visa application processes.Only those who are exempt from travel restrictions or those visiting for essential purposes are allowed to enter the country.

Call us at 514 239-1287 and learn more about this issue.