Un travailleur agricole du Mexique dans un champs du Québec

Temporary Work Visa 

with DJP Quebec Immigration Services

Are you looking for a job in Canada? Have you received a job offer from a Canadian employer that you are interested in?

You will need a work permit and a temporary work visa, which is also called temporary residence visa. In all cases, you will need to obtain a job offer from a Canadian employer to obtain this visa.

The first step will be up to your future Canadian employer. It will need to take steps with Service Canada in their region to have their job offer approved. They will also need to do a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) before they officially hire you. This means that your future employer will have to ensure that you do not take the place of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident who has the necessary skills and availability to fill the position offered to you.

To obtain a favourable response to the LMIA, a Canadian government official must review the application to ensure that hiring you as a foreign worker will have a positive or neutral effect on the Canadian labour market. If the assessment is favourable and your future employer provides you with the LMIA, you can go on to the next step and apply for a work permit.

When you obtain your authorization and work visa, you will need to present them to an immigration officer upon your arrival in Canada. He or she will give you forms to fill out allowing you to obtain a Social Insurance Number (SIN). You will then need to provide this nine-digit number to your employer to access the programs and benefits offered by the Government of Canada.

LMIA Exemption

Some provinces wishing to hire French-speaking workers outside Quebec may exempt employers from an LMIA.

In other cases, when your skills are highly sought after, you can receive authorization to work in Canada more quickly and easily.

Contact one of our immigration consultants to discuss the various programs and conditions that can make it easier to obtain your temporary work visa.

Working in Canada without a Work Permit

It is also possible to work in Canada without a work visa and work permit. In fact, there are many other ways to work in the country, such as a work permit granted with a working holiday visa, a postgraduate work permit or a work permit issued under NAFTA.

To maximize your chances of obtaining the authorizations needed to work in Canada, do not hesitate to call us to talk with our immigration consultants to assess which approaches best fit your situation.


Due to security measures imposed in response to the COVID-19 health crisis, Canada has made significant changes to visa application processes.Only those who are exempt from travel restrictions or those visiting for essential purposes are allowed to enter the country.

Call us at 514 239-1287 and learn more about this issue.