Un étudiant étranger dans une université du Canada

Student Visa

with DJP Quebec Immigration Services

Do you want to stay in Quebec or another Canadian province to study there?

You will need a student visa.

To obtain this visa, you will need a letter of acceptance from a Canadian school or university. You will therefore need to find a designated learning institution (DLI) in Canada offering a program of study that matches your goals and ambitions. All elementary and secondary schools in Canada are DLIs. If you plan to study at a post-secondary educational institution (college, CEGEP, university, etc.), the list may vary depending on the province you choose. Contact one of our immigration consultants, and they will check for you whether the learning institution of your choice is on the list.

When you have chosen a learning institution, ask for an application file and apply for admission. If you are admitted, you will receive a letter of acceptance. Once you have this letter in hand, you can apply for a study permit at the embassy or consulate of your country.

Different documents and specific criteria will be required to obtain this permit. Here are some of them:

  • Have sufficient funds to pay for your first year of tuition and support yourself
  • Obtain a Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) if you wish to study in the province of Quebec
  • Not have a criminal record
  • Undergo an immigration medical exam

If the institution has asked you to complete certain courses before being accepted into your chosen program (conditional acceptance), you can obtain a study permit only for the duration of those courses. Once you have been accepted into the program in question by your chosen educational institution, you will need to apply for a permit extension.

Studying in Quebec

If you wish to study in Quebec in an educational program lasting more than six months, you must be admitted to a learning institution recognized by the ministère de l’Éducation et de l’Enseignement supérieur or another Quebec ministry. This will allow you to obtain a Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) and a study permit from the federal government.

Cooperation agreements between certain countries and Canadian provinces exist (e.g., France-Quebec, Belgium-Quebec). They not only allow you to pay tuition fees at preferential rates but also can facilitate your eligibility and obtaining the student visa. Do not hesitate to contact us to learn more and check whether such an agreement exists between your home country and the Canadian province you have chosen.

Working During Your Studies

Are you thinking of working while studying in Canada? It is quite possible to do so. You will be able to start your job search process as soon as you arrive in the country; you will need to apply for a social insurance number from Service Canada.

Note that foreign students who have come to Canada as part of an exchange program are not authorized to work during their studies.

Working after Your Studies

If you graduate and have studied at least eight months at a post-secondary institution, you can apply for a post-graduation work permit from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) within 180 days of graduation. The length of this permit cannot exceed the total duration of your studies. For example, if you have studied for 16 months, the post-graduation permit will be for 16 months. This is a temporary work permit. Its maximum length is three years.

Immigrating After Your Studies

If you have completed your studies in Canada and obtained a Canadian degree, you will be able to apply for permanent resident status. Some provinces, including as Quebec, offer programs, such as the Québec experience program (PEQ), which can speed up the selection process.

To learn more and know in detail the steps to take and the criteria to meet to study, work and immigrate to Canada, do not hesitate to contact one of our consultants specializing in immigration. He or she will be happy to answer all your questions and assist you in your process.


Due to security measures imposed in response to the COVID-19 health crisis, Canada has made significant changes to visa application processes.Only those who are exempt from travel restrictions or those visiting for essential purposes are allowed to enter the country.

Call us at 514 239-1287 and learn more about this issue.